Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Alumni Perspective - Peter Murray '05

Every year around October/November, Trinity University invites all of its alumni back on campus for a weekend of memories. Trinity Basketball has been fortunate to have so many returning alums continue to stay connected and be around the program. During these weekends, alumni share their "reflections" of what Trinity means/meant to them and we thought it would be a great recurring topic on this blog to have some "Alumni Perspective."

"What I remember about my time as a Trinity Tiger"

If you had asked me what I remember most about my time as a Tiger shortly after graduation, I think I would have had a very different answer than now. Then I would have made a list of victories and championships, personal accomplishments, and maybe even a step by step verbal replay of the best dunks throughout my career (ally-oop on the first play against Texas A&M is up there). The competitor in me that hates to lose might even retell some of the heartbreak losses in my career that drove me and my teammates to get better (at DePauw freshman year, Sul Ross State junior year). Mostly, my response would have been about the success of our team and the great times that we had together on and off the court.

My answer now would view the same events with a different scope. The losses fade and even the wins lose their glory. Your individual and team accomplishments are eclipsed by those behind you, but some things will never fade or be eclipsed. The memories I have with my teammates are still vivid in my mind and will always remain so. Not the on the court memories I would have thought when I graduated, but other things that seemed insignificant at the time. I remember walking from the gym to Mabee with my teammates after practice. I remember eating at Main Street Pizza with the guys on a Friday night and getting my free Trini-Tea. I remember our annual lake party in the spring to celebrate the season. I remember the little moments that had little to do with wins and losses. Those memories will not fade.

All of those unforgettable memories are shared with my teammates, my best friends. I had friends before coming to Trinity and I have made many close friends since leaving, but nothing can eclipse the bonds of friendship forged between teammates. Nothing else compares. Those relationships are what I will always take with me from my time at Trinity. I am thankful for my opportunity to play for Coach Cunningham, and attend Trinity, but I will forever be indebted to both for the relationship I have with my teammates, then and now.

Peter Murray, '05

*He didn't know we had it, but below is the clip of Peter's afformentioned ally-oop